Do You Know What it Takes to Maintain Your Hot Tub?
Hot tub owners know the great benefits it can provide. Do you know how to properly care for it? One study by the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals, found that an overwhelming 77% of hot tub and spa owners believe that cleaning and maintaining of their unit was easy.
We have provided a short list of ways you can prolong the life of your hot tub in just a few steps:
- For hot tubs with wood, an important thing you can do to once a year is to refinish the wood surfaces. With the wide range of temperatures and weather conditions, you will want to take the time to do this annually - at least.
- The skirt which covers the outside of your hot tub is no different as far as needing TLC. You may find that repairing smaller areas will suffice, yet when it is no longer protecting the hot tub, replacing it is worth the small investment.
- The filter should be cleaned with a hose every three to four months. Should the filter require more aggressive cleaning, use a filter cleaning solution approved to clean hot tub filters.
- A regular inspection of the cover will ensure that you are aware of any wear and tear that may need to be addressed. This can be a big safety issue, especially if there are children around.
- Another important maintenance item it to inspect is the safety cover. At least once a month, clean it!
- As far as draining and refilling the hot tub itself, the best advice is to read any and all directions that come with the unit and/or talk to the dealer where you purchased the it. They may provide important information that should be read or followed.
- Depending on the size of the hot tub and how diligent you are about keeping the chemicals balanced will also play into the time frame of when to drain and refill the tub.
- It's imperative to remember to perform a quick water test before each use and to have on hand the supplies you may need for this. Most manufacturers recommend using some kind of sanitizing or chlorine tablets once a week. That will keep everyone safe who is enjoying the hot tub and is one more small way you can stretch out the lifetime of your investment!
We hope these tips of cleaning and maintenance have been beneficial. We will be sharing more ways care for your hot tub!